Spring is in the air

Spring is an exciting time for both us and our pets. We can all get out and about, meet our friends and enjoy the fresh air. However, there are a few hazards to look out for this season to keep our pets safe.

Spring flowers can cause serious harm to your pet, daffodils and bluebells particularly can be toxic to them. They cause a wide range of symptoms including vomiting, lethargy and abnormal breathing. Bulbs are also dangerous if eaten, as the toxins are more concentrated in the bulbs. If you think your pet has swallowed a flower or a bulb, please ring us immediately.

The warm weather can mean more parasites. Please check your pet regularly for ticks and fleas in the spring season. As pets are more likely to be outside in the spring months and our dogs will start dipping in rivers and streams infectious diseases become more of a worry. Make sure your pet’s vaccinations are up to date.

The spring sunshine can get very warm. Never leave your pet in the car on a spring day. Always make sure they have access to shade and fresh water if they are outside in the garden.

We start to see more insect bites and stings as the weather warms up.  Reactions to bee stings can include mild swelling and tenderness; some pets are allergic to bee stings and will need emergency vet care if stung. If your pet has a bee sting or some swelling around the head or neck area, please contact us at the surgery.

Dogs and cats can have seasonal allergies too. Their symptoms include sneezing, scratching, licking and chewing. This can be very distressing for our pets. Please get in touch and we can discuss the best way of controlling these signs.

Please take care in your garden if you feel tempted to use pesticides or fertilisers. If ingested by your pet they can become very unwell. They are best avoided altogether but if must use them then please keep your pet well away from any areas, and you need to cover them.

If you feel the need to have a big spring clean, the products you use are likely to contain harmful chemicals such as, ammonia, bleach and chlorine. Keep your pets in a separate room until all surfaces are dry, as if they lick these products they will develop a stomach upset.

Categorised in: